My photo
Grew up in the Church of Jesus Christ and Latter Day Saints and Roman Catholic traditions, including a stint at a Catholic school; somewhat sadly, before the point at which young women (people - not the misogynist Mormon class) wore kilts. Attended church until a teen, but held atheist sentiments from a young age, despite being in a family full of believers. This is a place for my thoughts regarding religion on both a personal level and relating to the world, of which I am a member... And Mormons say journals are a good thing :)

April 27, 2008

Sex Stupidity

I've been buzy with - well, Life - so this blog, among other things, have gone to the back burner; But something on my mind does have connections to religion, so I can make a (somewhat) poignant post here.

People often think I'm male, especially in certain circles. Often it's because of cultural norms that I don't quite fit into.

In the online world, many people think I'm male. This may stem from the way I write, possibly resulting from what I read - certainly not the Bible! - or what I write about (further contributing to the stereotype that women should focus on "pleasant" and "uplifting" pursuits)

If you go to a ward event you will hear ethnic music from members of the congregation, or where they went on a mission; sometimes country music for an event like a square dance, or maybe an everyday event if you don't live in a city; but it's mostly upbeat, not too fast and not at all offensive pop and rock. Listening to "heavy" music is something generally looked down upon in church. It's especially unexpected for someone who isn't a male to prefer Ozzy to O-Town.

(Ok; this one is a slight stretch, but I wanted to have 3 points) Sexuality is hidden enough with men in church culture, but there's an assumption that women would not "inpurify" themselves with that sort of "sin". The fact that I am open about sex, and engage in non-Mormon-God-sanctioned sex, makes me even less of a "proper" woman.

No comments: