My photo
Grew up in the Church of Jesus Christ and Latter Day Saints and Roman Catholic traditions, including a stint at a Catholic school; somewhat sadly, before the point at which young women (people - not the misogynist Mormon class) wore kilts. Attended church until a teen, but held atheist sentiments from a young age, despite being in a family full of believers. This is a place for my thoughts regarding religion on both a personal level and relating to the world, of which I am a member... And Mormons say journals are a good thing :)

February 29, 2008

Cult Criteria

I've seen a lot of discussion about religion and cults lately, especially in relation to Scientology; however everything I've read could also be attributed to Mormonism. There are a couple points I see as problematic, despite how in this case they're true.


A 'new' church is likely to be a cult

I guess this falls under the "cult as 'a group with ideas contrary to the general population" At one point Jesus' ideas were considered really radical (to the point that (assuming he was a real person/entity) he was murdered) so I guess that would make the Big One a cult.

Personally, I think all organized religion is cultist, but for the sake of argument (illustrating true, negative cult behaviour) I focused on what the general population would define as a "cult", even though it's hard to make a distinction... It boils down to personal perception. I admit having gone to LDS church is "weird" (and very boring!) but to others (especially those who didn't go to church as children) it's more "creepy". I can see how others raised in religion may see their mainstream, generally non-abusive (at least in an overt, physical manner) religion as different then a "real" cult like the Branch Davidians or Heaven's Gate.

But I digress; if Scientology is a cult because it's only been around for about fifty years, a couple hundred years isn't much longer.


A cult has a charismatic leader who must be followed

Even though L Ron and David Miscavage are more interesting then Joe Smith and Ezra Benson, you must still always Follow The Prophet... One of the reasons some people are opposed to Catholicism is because of the "must be followed" rule regarding the Pope, who is seen as an idol (along with Mary and saints) other then Jesus. I've heard this comment from many LDS folk, who see nothing wrong with practically worshiping Smithy Boy.

---------


Here's an interesting and insightful account of an ex-Scientologist who was in the Sea Org... There is no LDS-equivalent to the Sea Org, because the latter are missionaries for life, and their next life and the next and so-on, due to a billion year contract (Even the Mormons don't have "legal" documents like that)

No comments: