My photo
Grew up in the Church of Jesus Christ and Latter Day Saints and Roman Catholic traditions, including a stint at a Catholic school; somewhat sadly, before the point at which young women (people - not the misogynist Mormon class) wore kilts. Attended church until a teen, but held atheist sentiments from a young age, despite being in a family full of believers. This is a place for my thoughts regarding religion on both a personal level and relating to the world, of which I am a member... And Mormons say journals are a good thing :)

September 7, 2007

The Sweet Stuff

Coke (the pop, not the white stuff) became a part of my life mid-way through grade school. Up until that point, when I moved in with a Catholic relative, I had lived with mostly Mormon family who was of the mindset that 'hot drinks' = caffeine and therefore cola was of the devil (however chocolate is okay, since there isn't alot of caffeine in it, so it's not a big sin)

The first time I tried Coca-Cola was from a small glass. I sort of smelled it first, like an exotic wine, and then took a small sip. Shortly after I started drinking it, I decided to take one of my recently lost teeth and place it in a cup full of cola; When I removed it, it was (more) rotted (then before)

This didn't stop me from gulping the stuff back. In middle school I was drinking close to 2L daily. Thankfully my Mormon parent believed in my agency, and allowed me to drink it (even purchasing it for me) when I visited them.

It's amusing looking back now, but then I really thought I was seen as a rebel (by some, I was) for drinking caffeinated pop! If only they knew what I do now.



Today I'm anti-Coke, but it's for political and not religious reasons.

I apologize for the lack of entries lately, not that many people read this anyways. I have been sick lately (No prayers, please)

No comments: