My photo
Grew up in the Church of Jesus Christ and Latter Day Saints and Roman Catholic traditions, including a stint at a Catholic school; somewhat sadly, before the point at which young women (people - not the misogynist Mormon class) wore kilts. Attended church until a teen, but held atheist sentiments from a young age, despite being in a family full of believers. This is a place for my thoughts regarding religion on both a personal level and relating to the world, of which I am a member... And Mormons say journals are a good thing :)

June 7, 2007

Baptism Bullshit

Since one cannot be baptised as a Mormon until the age of 8, I was not baptised in the Catholic religion until that age as well.

At that point I was pretty agnostic, but thought there couldn't be any harm in being baptised. I thought it would put me in the clear for going to heaven/higher kingdom and it would make my family happy.

The Catholic baptism was more foreign, as the basin was made for an infant. I had seen some Mormon baptisms previous to mine, and children are introduced to the ritual through pictures and stories from a young age. I didn't have the same exposure to the more traditional chrisitan rites; At that point I didn't think Mormons were christian, as I was told that by family who were members (which apparently is inproper doctrune)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This image was a common sight in my chapel.


I was 'dunked' on my 8th birthday, by my full preisthood holding father. I don't have a strong memory of it, as one often does of a memorable experience. I just remember going through the motions and not feeling fully comfortable with it, as with any other church experience.

After one's baptism they give the Holy Ghost to the recipient. I remember closing my eyes and trying to focus, thinking maybe this will be the time everything would be revealed to me; It was not, and I was left with more doubt then before.


More thoughts on the holy ghost and baptism to come....

No comments: