My photo
Grew up in the Church of Jesus Christ and Latter Day Saints and Roman Catholic traditions, including a stint at a Catholic school; somewhat sadly, before the point at which young women (people - not the misogynist Mormon class) wore kilts. Attended church until a teen, but held atheist sentiments from a young age, despite being in a family full of believers. This is a place for my thoughts regarding religion on both a personal level and relating to the world, of which I am a member... And Mormons say journals are a good thing :)

September 30, 2010

Call to the Church

After running into someone who knows my family from church who told me something that made me feel the need to contact them assoonaspossible, I found myself going to the church on Sunday afternoon. The whole thing seemed to go by fairly quickly, which I found surprising; but after back-to-back-to-back 3 hour classes in school one three hour meeting is nothing.

I ended up attending Relief Society, which wasn't really preachy at all. I was pleasantly surprised at how the material, being the "hands of god", was made relevant to day-to-day life. There were quotes passed around which were read aloud, and I got one that seemed fitting (at least the first part) It read "Let our hearts and hands be stretched out in compassion towards others, for everyone is walking his or her own difficult path. As disciples of Jesus Christ, our Master, we are called to support and heal rather than condemn" Overlooking the 'jeebus iz mai master(bator)' part, it immediately reminded me of the Plato quote I happen to have posted by my door: BE KIND FOR EVERYONE YOU MEET IS FIGHTING A HARD BATTLE. The battle for me was trying not to leer at the hot chick around my age sitting across the room.

I noticed I had some semi-complete posts from way back when, which I will review and possibly put up.

2 comments:

Andrew S said...

That's a good deal; I think that was from Pres. Uchtdorf's Gen Conf talk from a while back -- he's definitely one of the GAs who makes more sense, has more compassion, etc., It's certainly possible that you could've gone back during a worse lesson, topic-wise.

Amelia said...

I stumbled on your blog and laughed at this post because I think trying not to stare at a "hot chick" would be a problem for me too, IF I went back to Relief Society for some reason. I'll say this for the Mormons, they have some hottt college-age women. Too bad they're sexually repressed eh.